Here we are, a week into June and with the temperatures being somewhat lovely over the last few days (I actually have a slight tan, and this is coming from a girl who never changes colour) I think it’s fair to say that it finally feels like Summer is on its way. Whilst my Summer no longer consists of daisy chains, grass stained dresses and handstand competitions (those were the days), I still love to try and make a beeline to spend my free days enjoying the season. Every year I do something similar when it comes to Autumn/Winter time so I thought it was about time I did a Summer version!
1. Take a trip to the local M&S store, stock up on picky foods and head over to your local park for an afternoon picnic. When me and my friends were younger we’d often spend our summers in the park with Boots meal deals, playing rounders and dizzy dizzy ducklings (a classic) and it was always a real highlight of the season.
2. Be a tourist in your own city. If you’ve lived in the same place for a while, you often find yourself going to the same places day in and day out, so pretend to be a tourist for the day. Take your camera, plan out some things to do and finally go visit all of those places you’ve been meaning to visit.
3. Invite your friends around and host your own movie night. Think microwave popcorn, all of the nibbles, and an abundance of classic films, this is the perfect night in. I tend to favour more classic films and TV boxsets (or just the us office… always), but HMV have loads to choose from!
4. Get on Pinterest and discover some new cocktail (or in my case, mocktail) recipes to try out.
5. Have a big sort out. A tidy room makes a tidy mind and all that. I always love to organise my belongings and wardrobe as there’s often things I forget I owned (and loved) and it allows me to get rid of things that are just gathering dust. It’s seriously refreshing!
6. Host a BBQ! Now we all know the British weather is much to be desirable, but the minute the sun makes an appearance it calls for one thing and one thing only, a BBQ!
7. Learn the art of mindfulness and practice, practice, practice!
8. Get making some of your own ice lollies – it was always so much fun as a child to get inventive with flavours.
9. Travel to your nearest beach, grab yourself an ice-cream (I’m all about those 99s with a flake and all of the monkeys blood) or a bag of chips and enjoy the sunset.
10. Go camping.
11. Get your friends together and try to organise some sort of day out. Me and my friends used to go and play laser tag and it always used to be so much fun! We were arguably always the oldest there by about 10 years but it was such a laugh, I’d love to do it again sometime.
12. Start each (or near enough) morning off with a session of Yoga.
13. Teach yourself something new. I’m not what it is about Summer, where it be the warmer weather or the longer days, but I always feel like learning about something new over this season. When I was younger I used to give myself a project each school holiday and I’d read all the books I could on whatever topic I’d chosen, compiling together a little scrapbook by the end. And even now I love to pick up a new hobby over Summer.
14. Wake up super early one day and watch the sunrise.
15. Try to read a new book each and every week.
So what are your plans for the summer? Is there anything you’d add to this list? I’d love to hear your suggestions!