With turning the grand old age of 22 a few weeks ago, I thought I’d recap on the past 12 months. 21 is always considered a significant age, and I thought I’d take a little time out to think about my year and the lessons I’ve learnt. It’s a been a tough year, I’ll admit, but with that also comes a lot of learning and growth, and I’d definitely say that I’m a stronger person than I was a year ago.
1. Don’t bother thinking about what others think of you, chances are, they’re too busy worrying about what people think of them to notice anything.
2. You can achieve a lot more than you think. Give yourself some credit, girl.
3. It’s okay not to be okay.
4. There’ll always be a part of you that loves the music you listened to as a teen, especially when you were in your emo stage.
5. Nothing beats cheesy chips.
6. And you’re never too old to go to a restaurant just for cake.
7. You’re always going to have a slightly wonky nose (that you’ll always dislike about yourself), five-finger forehead and legs that don’t go on for days. Embrace them.
8. Some people may not always be in your life.
9. If you want to wear a hat, wear a damn hat.
10. It’s totally alright to go into a pub and ask for a cup of tea.
11. Trying to apply make-up in bed will always end in a foundation-stained bed sheet, no matter how careful you try.
12. High school never really ends, and there’ll always be people who don’t really like you. Build a bridge and get over it.
13. It’s all well and good to take photographs for the memories, but don’t forget to live the moment.
14. Every day you’ve thought you’re not going to get through and every moment you thought you couldn’t deal with, you’ve done it and you’re still here to tell the tale.
15. Wearing skater skirts on windy days will never end well, and you won’t realise this until you’ve accidentally flashed half of Newcastle on multiple occasions.
16. You and sketchbooks will never in a million years get along. Don’t kid yourself.
17. But saying that, you’ll develop a love for photography. Roll with it.
18. Blogging will be one of the best things you ever do, just keep going.
19. It’s perfectly alright to go down a path that isn’t necessarily the expected one.
20. It’s all well and good to do your best to help others and please them as much as you can. But make decisions for you and make sure you look after yourself. You need it just as much as others.
21. If in doubt, just think sassy *hair swoosh*
What lessons have you learnt recently?